8 The Old Hall, Highgate
Restoration and extension of a house in South Grove, the Highgate Conservation Area for Maggie and Terry Gilliam
This is a further project for the Gilliam’s to restore and extend a former stable block and gardeners cottage.
This property is also situated in South Grove at the top of Highgate Hill, next to The Lawns which was only the second private house to be shortlisted for the Stirling Prize for Architecture. As The Old Hall, it was formerly part of the old Arundel House Estate and was formerly the gardeners cottage and stable block. The original cottage is late 19th century and had been the subject of an extension in the 1950’s. In order to reflect the scale of the Highgate Conservation Area the design was in two parts; restoration of the former cottage and re-elevation and extension of the 1950’s extension.
The re-elevation and extension comprised large oversailing structural glass eaves, patent glazing and aluminium rain screen cladding to the second floor living room area extension with matching hand made bricks and marmorino plaster to the existing ground and first floor external walls. The contextual contemporary appearance of one half of the building form complements the Lawns.